Skip to Content

Explore: Sonoma County

"Leading the fight against hunger"

Sonoma County CalFresh

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible?

Q. How can I find out if I might be eligible for CalFresh benefits?

A. There is a eligibility tool available that will tell you if you are likely to be eligible for benefits, but to find out for sure—or to determine the actual amount you are eligible for—you will need to apply.

Q. Can single people living alone receive CalFresh benefits?

A. Yes. Being married and/or having children is NOT a requirement.

Q. Can a homeless person receive CalFresh benefits?

A. Yes. A person must reside in the county in which an application is filed. However, residence in a permanent dwelling or a fixed mailing address is NOT required.

Q. Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to receive CalFresh benefits?

A. Certain non-citizens, such as those admitted for humanitarian reasons, those admitted for permanent residence, honorably discharged U.S. veterans, many children, elderly immigrants, and individuals who have been working in the United States for certain periods of time, are eligible for CalFresh. Eligible household members, including children, can get CalFresh benefits even if there are other members of the household who are not eligible.

Q. If I work, can I still get CalFresh?

A. You may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits, whether or not you work, if you have a low income.

Q. if I have been convicted of a crime, can I get CalFresh?

A. If you have been convicted of certain drug felonies you may not be eligible. Your eligibility worker can tell you if you qualify.

Q. If I own a house or a car, can I still qualify for CalFresh?

A. Yes.

Q. Can students get CalFresh?

A. Students may be eligible to receive CalFresh. Certain work requirements may be required to qualify for benefits.

Q. Does everyone living in my home have to get CalFresh?

A. No. CalFresh rules allow for separate households. If you are living with other persons that are not part of your immediate family, you can apply to yourself and your family. Children, up to age 22, cannot be considered a separate household from their parents in the home.

Q. If I am receiving SSI/SSP, can I also receive CalFresh benefits?

A.If you are receiving SSI/SSP, you cannot receive CalFresh benefits in California. However, your family may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits.